Thursday, January 15, 2015

Comic book shelves

One of the projects I was working on around the house before I was deployed was a set of shelves to hold my comic book collection.  Turns out the design I worked out fit in the basement pretty well.  Sadly I didn't take many in-progress shots, but I was more concerned with getting them done (and the basement was a mess as I had to build and sort/shelve as I went).



It was designed to hold the long comic boxes (roughly 30 inches long), three per shelf.  I tested the first shelf just on two beams with three boxes, and I couldn't detect any sagging or deflection, so I know these are sturdy.

As it turns out, they also hold an assortment of other things, including Sterilite brand bins we picked up at Wal-Mart.  With three of these we have lots more storage, rather than the disorganized mess of moving boxes and other stuff.  Much better.  If the ceiling were higher I could put another row on top, but c'est la vie.  I'll have to wait until the next house.

No comments: